Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mass Massacre by Chinese to Ethnic Minority - Testimony of a Woman of Uyghur



From Yulghun
I am an Uyghur woman from Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. Because of my own Uyghur status, I have endured and observed many injustices and prejudices from mainstream Chinese people towards our minority. I have talked about these issues with people around me and those whom I have met outside my country. 

Woman of Uyghur
I firmly believe that there is something „missing‟ in our society which needs the urgent attention of all of us to bring about a change step by step so that the dignity and rights of every individual is universally respected.
I graduated from Nanjing University majoring in International Politics, and became an assistant to a journalist from Swedish Radio who worked in Xinjiang. During this time I learned and thought a lot about our Uyghur people and our relationship with the Han Chinese.


I determined that my people should have their own “voice” and should be courageous to tell the Government that we are also full-fledged citizens of China.


I now work for an organization which conducts programs in the field of HIV/AIDS and health education for vulnerable people. This category includes female sex workers, sexual minorities, injecting drug users and people living with HIV/AIDS, as well as ethnic minority groups, especially Uyghur and Yi, who migrate to urban centers for economic reasons. 

All these are high risk groups, subject to exploitation because of their unequal status. I have had the chance to participate in different community activities for these minority groups and gain a better understanding of their aspirations, needs and risks and how „exclusion‟ from social life results in extreme vulnerabilities. I realize that we should call for the elimination of all kinds of discrimination, and those who do this work within our own societies are helping all people to create a better tomorrow and a better world.

From the beginning of 2009, the Chinese government started to attack NGOs across the country. Our organization has faced many difficulties, and our director, one of the most famous AIDS activists in China, has had to flee to the U.S with his family. Our working environment has become very difficult and we have had to postpone some of our community work.

In my work I have learned to respect and trust others because of my strong faith that the basic rights of all human beings such as life, liberty, equality, health, privacy and the like are sacrosanct and should be protected and respected. It is a protection for every one of “us”. I have had the opportunity to attend human rights training internationally, and I have a met a lot of passionate human rights activists from around the world. It has developed in me a bond and a common feeling for fellow human beings and a deep respect and understanding, and an urge to cooperate for a better world.

Please don't forget to check our website ecogreen4us.com for more eco & green products and services

1 comment: